Archives

You are invited to:
Posted: November 12, 2017

 

 

 ANNUAL XMAS SOCIAL

 

SUN., DEC. 3rd, 2017

 

TO BE HOSTED FOR THE WHEELMEN OF CANADA

BY

CAPTAIN ROGER TUPPER 

TO BE HELD AT THE HOME OF THE MILTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
WALDIE'S BLACKSMITH SHOP
16 JAMES ST.
MILTON, ON L9T 2P4
905-875-4156

 

SCHEDULE
11:45 > 12:00 - DOORS OPEN.  We need to set up so any help will be appreciated. Come early if you can assist with food, beverages, chairs, tables
12:00 > 12:30 - MEET & GREET + getting organized.
12:30 > 1:30 - LUNCHEON and clean up
1:45 > 2:15 - SOCIAL + SHOW & TELL Bring something new or old to show & share  
2:15 > 3:00 - SWAP MEET Bring Your junque or treasures to buy, sell or trade.  Bikes, Trikes, Ephemera, Parts, Accessories, Tools & Memorabilia etc.
3:15 > 4:15 - HISTORIC PRESENTATION:

FOOD & BEVERAGES
* PLEASE BRING A FOOD ITEM TO SHARE. 
* ALCHOHOLIC BEVERAGES may NOT be consumed or brought into the building.  
* COFFEE & TEA will be supplied.  If you wish sodas, fruit juice, colas or whatever, please bring your own. 
* SPECIAL FOOD REQUIREMENTS OR FOOD ALLERGIES ~  Please advise in advance.

SPECIAL NOTES
* Our cost to rent the venue is $20 per hour. Our estimate is that at least 15 people will attend. Consequently we need to charge a "help pay for the rent" fee of $7.00 per person. Any extra goes into the Canadian Wheelmen's petty cash fund.
* Bring friends or family members.  This is a great time to get involved.  Everyone is invited.  Why not bring a future nonmember of The Wheelman whom you might know?  He/She might like to join in.  The more the merrier.

IMPORTANT
Please be so kind as to R.S.V.P. by Nov. 24th (the earlier the better).  That would be much appreciated.    We have other surprises planned.  Kindly reply to:   lorne-shields@rogers.com  or phone (leave a message) 905-886-6911  
 
Your truly,

Lorne SHIELDS

COMMUNICATIONS
THE WHEELMEN of CANADA

Ph:  905 - 886 - 6911  ( takes messages )
Cell:  416 - 568 - 5495 ( does NOT take messages )



 


 

Comments: 0
Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: November 10, 2017

The advent of the First World War (1914 - 1918) saw many battalions on bicycles rather than horses. Equipped in the same manner as the horse with a bed roll on the front and a rifle slung on its side, the bicycle was used by scouts, messengers, infantry men and even ambulance carriers.

At the outset of the war as the 1st Canadian Division began training at Valcartier, Quebec, it was decided that a cycle unit should be formed to carry out intelligence work with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. So it was that the 1st Canadian Cyclist Company sailed for England with the 1st Canadian Division on October 14 1914. Cyclist companies were also formed with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Divisions and in May 1916 all four Divisional Cyclist companies were merged into the "Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion." 

 
Canadian Cyclist Corps. camped on Salisbury Plain 1914

Once in England the cyclists were trained in musketry and bayonet fighting, as well as signaling and topographical techniques. They carried out traffic control, sapping and mining, and served as trench guides, listening posts and battalion runners as well as dispatchers. Despite being hampered by the terrain and muddy conditions, bicycles were used to transport men and supplies over large distances and were said to be able to cover over 60 kms a day.

        
Allied cyclist scouts walking their bikes in the mud of war-torn France.

With a casualty rate of over twenty per cent, the bicycle corps. became known as a "suicide battalion" or "Gas Pipe Cavalry." One of the hardest hit units was the Newfoundland Regiment ninety per cent of whom were killed or injured at Beaumont - Hamel. Because of their courage, King George V gave the regiment the prefix "Royal" - the only time during the first World War that this honour was given.

   
The Newfoundland Regiment marching with their bicycles back to billet. 

The individual responsible for supplying the Canadian military with bicycles was none other than Tommy Russell, general manager and soon to be president of CCM. Following a meeting on August 14, 1914, with the Minister of Militia and Defense, Colonel Sam Hughes , Russell was made an honourary Major and named purchasing agent for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.

     
Demobilization begins as cyclists cross into Cologne.

It is believed that most of the bicycles used by Canadians in the First World War came either from CCM or Planet and it has been noted that a Canadian cyclist was the first Allied soldier to cross the Bonn bridge into Germany following the Armistice of November 1918.

 

Comments: 0
Working at CCM - 1938
Posted: August 29, 2017

 

 

 

Comments: 1
COMING SOON!!!
Posted: July 09, 2017

 

Comments: 0
COMING SOON!
Posted: April 17, 2017

 

Comments: 2
To CCMers everywhere!
Posted: April 04, 2017

 

HAPPY EASTER!

 

Comments: 0
CVBS4 - WINTER INDOOR EVENT
Posted: February 20, 2017

The CVBS4 Winter Indoor event was a Great Success.Thank you to all who attended. As the weather was so fine we managed to fill the large space quickly & completely, all the tables provided were sure an asset! As things turned out the overflow migrated to the parking lot which worked out quite well for February. This all tells me that our Sport is Strong. It was good to meet many new people that made the effort, as well as our core group.The Stedman Community Hospice ,Brantford, will see a donation of 800$ for CVBS4 Indoor 2017, our 2016 Summer event raised 3800$.Here are some pics for you, Enjoy, Best Regards Jamie

 2 people, bicycle

 3 people, people sitting and bicycle

 2 people, people sitting, table, bicycle and indoor

 2 people, people sitting

 2 people, people smiling

 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

Comments: 0
WHY NOT MAKE IT A CCM WEEKEND - FEB. 18 + 19
Posted: December 31, 2016

Comments: 0
Best of the season to CCM'ers Everywhere!
Posted: December 11, 2016

  

   

 

 

Comments: 0
The Royal Canadian Bicycle Club
Posted: November 12, 2016

 

The Royal Canadian Bicycle Club

Early Sport in Riverdale

by Gerald Whyte

The Royal Canadian Bicycle Club, established in 1891, had its origins in the Royal Canadian Athletic Club, an association of some 100 young men last located at 740 Queen Street East in Toronto. When the new club was formed only five of its members had bicycles and these were the hard tire variety. The first officers of the small club were: David Smith, President, S.H. Gibbons, Captain, E. McTeer, First Lieutenant and Fred Creed, Second Lieutenant. The first home of the club was in the Smith Block at 651 Queen Street East.

 
Opening of cycling season May 23, 1891, A.E. Walton with the bugle

In the spring of 1892 the club moved to the (Alan Hoover) Dingman Block at 736 Queen Street East where new officers were selected: D. Smith, President, S.H. Gibbons, Vice-President and James Murray, Secretary-Treasurer. in the fall the Club moved to larger quarters in (Archibald) Dingman Hall at 112 Broadview Avenue. Money was a problem for the new club until A.E. Walton, a local entrepreneur and organizer, provided the needed financial management from 1893 - 1896 when he was President. He was to play a major role in Club activities fro 50 years. In the fall of 1903 the Club won its first victory in a team competition at the Cahadian National Exhibition eventually winning a world championship race in 1896.

Cycling in Riverdale received a boost from two dvelopments. The first was external with the invention of the pneumatic tire by John Dunlop in 1888. This allowed a much smoother ride. The second occurred in 1884 when the area of Riverdale north of Queen Street was annexed by the city, allowing for great improvement in local roads. This also allowed a much smoother ride.

   
The start of the 20 mile Dunlop Trophy Race in 1898

 

The Dunlop Tire company, as a major supplier of bicycle tires, promoted bicycle racing, an exciting sport, which led to increased bicycle sales. They sponsored their first race at the Woodbine Racetrack in 1894 when the Royal Canadian Bicycle Club competed against four other top club teams. The 20 mile race ended in a dispute which resulted in the Atheneum Club taking the trophy. However the next year the Royal Canadians returned, this time to win. When they won a second straight in 1896 they were allowed to keep the coveted Dunlop Trophy. It is one of the largest trophies in existence, made of ebony and silver and standing seven feet tall! It was valued at $1,000 at the time. The Dunlop Trophy remains to this day at the Royal Canadian Curling Club, the successor club of the bicycle club.

The "east end heroes of the wheel" who won the Dunlop Trophy were: L. Bounsall, C. Leamen, P. Humphreys, H. Parkins, H. Thompson, A. Oake, G. Nicholson, G. Capps, W. Simpson and J. Anderson.

   
The winning team for the 1899 Dunlop Trophy Race

By 1897 the Royal Canadian Bicycle Club was well established. Their premises in Dingman's Hall are described in the Toronto Evening Star: "The club parlours are upholstered and furnished in the best of style and the pictures of the winning teams decorate the walls. A padded boxing room, a pool room, a card room, a smoking room, a reading room and a first class gymnasium are amoing the attractions."

In 1907 the Royal Canadian Bicycle Club moved into their new clubhouse at 131 Broadview Avenue, J. Francis Brown, architect. in 1929 the name was changed to the Royal Canadian Bicycle and Curling Club when the ice arena was built behind the clubhouse, H.S. Salisbury, architect.  

The above is reprinted with the kind permission of Gerald Whyte and the Riverdale Historical Society.  

Comments: 0